To start with – DIY rodent control is possible.
I have been guiding folks in the art of dealing with rodent infestations for over 20 years. I have even been involved in getting rid of other pest related issues.
But let’s face it… if you feel overrun by rodents and you are not confident that you can handle the problem yourself then it is time to call a pest control company to lend a hand.
How do you choose a pest control company that you can trust?
What questions do you need to ask a pest control company to make sure they are going to deliver what you need?
I’ve put this guide together for you, so you can be confident that you are picking the right pest control service to deal with the pest problem safely, swiftly, and professionally.
- 10 Questions To Ask A Pest Control Service
- 1. How Much Is Your Service?
- 2. How Do you Propose To Deal With The Rodents/Pests?
- 3. Will You Dispose Of The Dead Pests/Rodents?
- 4. Are You Licenced?
- 5. Are You Insured?
- 6. How Much Experience Do You Have?
- 7. Do You Offer A Guarantee?
- 8. How Can I Stop These Pests/Rodents From Coming Back?
- 9. Do You Offer A Solution That Is Safe For Pets And Children?
- 10. What Other Pest Control Companies For You Recommend?
- Why It Is Important To Aks These Questions
10 Questions To Ask A Pest Control Service
Here is the list of questions you should ask when choosing one of the many pest control companies that operate in your area before dealing with your pest or rodent problem.
1. How Much Is Your Service?
First and foremost, you will want to know the cost of the service they are going to provide.
I know they are unaware of the size of the task they have until you advise them, but this is definitely something you will want to know the answer to.
2. How Do you Propose To Deal With The Rodents/Pests?
This question is vital, especially if you are a humane person.
I would want to know that they are going to be dealing with the rodents in a humane way. For instance, the use of glue traps to catch rodents is inhumane, and I would not part company with my cash if a professional pest control company planned to use them.
Any pest control company that uses poison but does not capture the rats will also not be used. When rats consume the poison, there is a risk that they will die in your cavity walls, or they might be eaten by another animal, causing secondary poisoning.
Pest management can be completed in a humane way.
3. Will You Dispose Of The Dead Pests/Rodents?
Most professional pest control companies will take away the dead rodents once they are killed. If the rodents are caught alive, then you should ensure the company will be dealing with those too.
4. Are You Licenced?
Pest control companies must be licensed in most countries/states.
If they do not have a valid license, you should not be using them.
5. Are You Insured?
In the event that any damage occurs to your property as a result of the methods used by the pest control company, you should be able to make a claim.
By ensuring the pest control company is insured, you are building confidence in their ability to perform a professional job.
6. How Much Experience Do You Have?
Most pest control companies will proudly show off the experience they have in dealing with pest control issues.
You should ask this question to build confidence that you are dealing with a professional company.
7. Do You Offer A Guarantee?
When you are faced with a rodent control problem, you want to be assured that you are dealing with a company that will see it through to the end, right?
By asking for a guarantee, you can be sure that your rodent or pest problem will be over when they have finished the job.
Some companies will only offer a guarantee once a pest control technician has been out to inspect your home to gauge the size of the pest control problem.
8. How Can I Stop These Pests/Rodents From Coming Back?
Whilst you are receiving help from the pest control company, you should look to increase your own knowledge in dealing with pests and rodents.
Tap into their knowledge, after all, they are the professionals.
Find out what steps you need to take to stop these pests from coming back and causing an infestation. Also, make sure that you implement the advice they give you.
- Tips for having a mouse-proof house. Seal the entry points!
- Tips for stopping rats from entering your home by sealing it up.
9. Do You Offer A Solution That Is Safe For Pets And Children?
If you have pets and/or children, the pest control company will need to offer you a safe technique that doesn’t harm them.
Rodent and pest control techniques might include the use of poison, which is extremely dangerous when consumed by other animals and children.
Make sure that that cat safe traps are used if you are cats in your home.
10. What Other Pest Control Companies For You Recommend?
I love this question! It really shows the professionalism of a company if they are willing to recommend a competitor.
Obviously, this is not a selection question, it is more to see how professional they are, and I just love to throw people off with this curveball question!
Why It Is Important To Aks These Questions
Using a professional company means you expect a professional service.
It is important to ask these questions for the following reasons:
- You can be sure they are a responsible company
- You can be sure they will not rip you off
- No other animals or people will come to harm during the pest control services on offer
- The pest control company will take responsibility for any damages that may occur during the service
Selecting a pest control company doesn’t have to be difficult. You simply have to know the right questions to ask.
It is very common for rodents, and other pests to cause problems in your home, or any other property you may have. Use this as an opportunity to learn from the services they offer you. Know and understand the treatment they use to control the pests.