7 Dangers Of Using Poison As Mouse Control

Rodent Guide
Written By Rodent Guide

I believe in treating all creatures with respect. My mission is to ensure everyone understands how to protect their home from rodents without using cruel methods.

Using poison is one of the easiest methods of mouse control; there is no doubt about that.

The ease of use is tempting, right?

All you need to do is buy a few bags of poison and throw them in your attic. After all, you are desperate to get rid of these pesky mice.

But, is using poison as mouse control really the best way to address the problem?

In this post, I will give you 7 dangers of using poison for mouse control.

IMPORTANT: When using poison, you must always follow the instructions from the poison manufacturer above all other advice!

Dangers Of Using Poison As Mouse Control

1. Danger To Other Animals

Using poison is dangerous to other animals because it is not just mice attracted to the bait.

This is especially true if you are placing the poison outdoors.

Many folks buy bags of poison and place them in areas where they have seen mice activity. Imagine if your pet stumbles across the poison. How would you feel if a neighbor’s cat accidentally ingested it?

Let’s not forget that having a cat around is an excellent mouse deterrent!

2. Danger To People

It is not just pets and other animals that will suffer if they contact the poison you are using as mouse control.

Imagine the unthinkable; a child stumbles upon a sachet of mouse poison. Natural intrigue sets in, and the next thing you know, they are handling the poison.

A child or a grown-up ingesting mouse poison will lead to severe health issues requiring immediate medical attention.

Keep poison away from kids, pets, and anyone who may accidentally ingest it.

3. Bad For The Environment

When using poison as a mouse control tactic, you are putting the environment at risk.

This is especially true if you throw the poison sachets outdoors for mice to find. Eventually, the sachets will break open, and the poison will leak into the soil.

4. Rodent Dies In Hard To Reach Place

When you poison a rodent, death is not immediate. It can take some time for a mouse to die after ingesting poison.

The problem with that is you cannot control where the mouse will be when it dies!

Imagine that the mouse eats some poison and then scurries through your cavity walls! If the mouse dies in your cavity walls, getting a professional to remove the dead mouse could lead to a large financial outlay.

It is either that or you ride out the smell of the dead mouse until it goes!

5. Danger To Predators

grey cat on wooden chair relaxing cat safe mouse traps

Imagine a mouse ingests some of the poison you have left for it. As the mouse scurries outside, it is spotted by a bird of prey.

The bird swoops down and eats the mouse. What is going to happen to the bird?

You have probably already guessed. The bird will die from ingesting the mouse poison too.

When you are trying to get rid of mice, the last thing you want to do is remove a natural predator, right?

6. Difficult To Correctly Dispose Of The Mouse

If you do not know where the mouse has died, you cannot safely dispose of it.

Disposing of a dead mouse is an important step in your mouse control plans.

7. No Measurement Of Success

Ok, so it is not a danger as such, but it is an issue nonetheless.

When I have drawn up a battle plan to get rid of mice, a measure of success is how many mice I have been able to catch.

If I throw sachets of poison on the ground, I do not know if they have been successful or not. Sure, I will see bite marks in the sachet, but how do I know if it was a mouse?

How do I know if the poison has done the job I need it to?

Should I Use Poison For As Mouse Control?

The simple answer is yes, but you should follow certain rules when using poison as mouse control.

  1. Wear gloves when handling poison.
  2. Always use poison within a tamper-proof mouse trap to contain the mouse until it dies.
  3. Never blindly throw poison sachets in areas to kill mice.
  4. Always correctly dispose of poison.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take for a mouse to die from poison?

A mouse can take up to 5 days to die after eating mouse poison. This is all the more reason to ensure that mice are kept inside a trap during this time.

Does poison work on mice?

Yes – poison is a very effective method of mouse control.

Where will the mouse die after ingesting poison?

As a mouse can take up to 5 days to die after eating poison, the quick answer is ‘anywhere a mouse can travel to in 5 days.’


Using poison as mouse control can be extremely effective, but you must be careful.

It is vital to remember to keep it out of reach of children, or people who will misuse it. Always wear gloves when handling poison, and always make sure the mice cannot leave the trap until they die from the poison.

Good luck!


About the Rodent Guide

I’m an expert in do-it-yourself rodent control. For more than 20 years, I’ve dedicated my life to helping people live harmoniously alongside these critters by sharing rodent control solutions that are effective and kind.

I believe in treating all creatures with respect. My mission is to ensure everyone understands how to protect their home from rodents without using cruel methods.

Leave a Comment