Poison can be used for mouse control with a very, very high success rate! You do, however, need to use poison responsibly. With so many active ingredients being used in products, it is difficult to know which one is going to work with the most success! In this post, we are going to take a look at the question ‘How does mouse poison work?’

How Does Mouse Poison Work

How Does Mouse Poison Work

The answer to this question depends on which poison is being used. Some poisons affect the central nervous system, some cause Hypercalcaemia which will eventually shut down vital organs, and some stop blood from clotting. This leads to the mouse bleeding to death.

Let’s take a look at the most common active ingredients in mouse poison, and how each one works to kill the mouse.


List Of Common Mouse Poison Ingredients And How They Work

How Does Mouse Poison Work Infographic

Cholecalciferol

Cholecalciferol (vitamin D) is a commonly used poison to target mice.

Mice, and other rodents, are susceptible to high doses, which is why it makes a good mouse poison.

How Does Cholecalciferol Work As A Poison For Mice?

The correct dosage of cholecalciferol will cause Hypercalcaemia, which is a high calcium level in blood. In mice, this leads to hypertension, cardiac problems, renal failure, followed by death.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Usually between 18 and 36 hours, sometimes sooner.


Bromethalin

Bromethalin is another very common mouse poison. Released in the mid-1980s, it is a very successful rodenticide.

How Does Bromethalin Work As A Poison For Mice?

Bromethalin goes straight for the central nervous system. The result is a build-up of cerebral spinal fluid, causing intracranial pressure. This stops important messages from getting to parts of the body, causing paralysis, and death.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Usually between 24 and 36 hours.


Phosphides

Metal phosphides is a fast-acting poison that you can use for mouse control. I must admit, this doesn’t sound like a very humane way of killing mice but hey, it works… and it works quickly!

How Does Phosphides Work As A Poison For Mice?

The idea here is that the poison is ingested by a mouse and as it is broken down in the stomach, phosphine gas is created.

Phosphine gas is extremely toxic! It blocks cells from making energy, which leads to the cells dying. Eventually, the major organs fail and the mouse dies.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

From 24 hours, which is pretty fast!


Chloralose

Chloralose is a mouse poison that is also used as a general anesthetic to sedate bigger lab animals. For mice, it can be used as a mouse poison.

How Does Chloralose Work As A Poison For Mice?

Chloralose works similarly to a barbiturate. It depresses the central nervous system leading to heavy sedation, or death.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

24-48 Hours.


Brodifacoum

Brodifacoum is one of the most common mouse poisons used in the market today. It is one of the only rodenticides with a 100% mortality rate for most rodents. This happened after only 24 hours!

How Does Brodifacoum Work As A Poison For Mice?

Brodifacoum is an anticoagulant mouse poison. Its primary function is to prevent blood from coagulating. This leads to a pretty inhumane way of dying… by bleeding out from the inside!

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Mice will die from ingesting brodifacoum usually within 24 hours, assuming they have ingested the correct dosage.


Bromadiolone

First registered in the US during the 1980s, bromadiolone is a lethal mouse poison, and a very effective one too!

How Does Bromadiolone Work As A Poison For Mice?

Similar to brodifacoum, bromadiolone is an anticoagulant, which stops the blood from clotting. The result is a bleed out!

More specifically, it inhibits the body from recycling vitamin K, which is what is needed for blood to clot. As soon as the vitamin K runs out, the blood can no longer clot, and the mouse dies.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Usually within 24 hours, but it can take longer for the vitamin K stores to fully deplete.


Difenacoum

Here we have another anticoagulant, which has a very high success rate for poisoning mice. Introduced in the US in the 1970s, it has been used successfully as a rodenticide ever since.

How Does Difenacoum Work As A Poison For Mice?

It is an anticoagulant, which means it stops the blood from clotting, leading to a bleed out. This poison also inhibits the body’s ability to recycle vitamin K.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Usually within 24 hours, but it can take longer for the vitamin K stores to fully deplete.


Coumatetralyl

Coumatetralyl is a poison that needs continued usage for success. One of the best parts about coumatetralyl is that it sticks to the fur of the mouse. This leads to increased ingestion through grooming.

To be honest, that is needed due to the large amounts needed to actually become toxic enough to kill the mouse!


How Does Coumatetralyl Work As A Poison For Mice?

Coumatetralyl is another anticoagulant, which means it works by stopping the blood from clotting. This leads to the mouse bleeding to death.


How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Using this poison will take days of continued ingestion to become toxic. You should only use this close to a mouse nest for the best results.


Flocoumafen

In trials, flocoumafen gave a quicker kill than difenacoum, Bromadioline, and brodifacoum. that alone speaks volumes about the effectiveness of flocoumafen as a mouse poison!

How Does Flocoumafen Work As A Poison For Mice?

Flocoumafen is another anti-coagulant mouse poison that kills mice by inhibiting the body’s ability to recycle vitamin K. Once the stores have depleted, the mouse will bleed to death.

How Long Does It Take For Mice To Die From This Poison?

Usually within 24 hours, but it can take longer for the vitamin K stores to fully deplete.


Frequently Asked Questions

frequently asked questions

How long does it take a mouse to die after eating poison?

It depends on the poison used. On average, you should expect the mouse to die within 4 days after ingesting poison. Some mouse poisons take days of continual use to be effective, so you should choose wisely.

Where do mice go to die after eating poison?

They could go anywhere, and that is dangerous! Mice may die in your attic, in your cavity walls, or somewhere else in your house. This means you will need to find the source and get rid of the dead mouse smell. As you can imagine, cavity walls are a particular challenge to clear!

How do you poison a mouse?

My preference is to add poison blocks into mouse traps that will catch and hold the mice alive. I think this is very important because I do not want to cause secondary poisoning. Secondary poisoning is where a bird or another animal eats the mouse after it has ingested the poison. There are many dangers associated with using poison to control mice.


Conclusion

There are quite a few active ingredients used in mouse poison. If you are looking at home does mouse poison work, then the details here will have helped you understand.

Whilst mouse poison is a very effective way of controlling mice, it is important that you use mouse poison responsibly.

Using poison for mice control can be very dangerous, and may lead to serious medical conditions in humans, and other animals. This includes your pets!

With that in mind, it is best to add the mouse poison to traps that will contain the mice until the poison has done its job. That way, you can be sure that no other animal will suffer, and also the environment is a little safer too.

You should also consider whether or not to use poison over a mouse trap.

Good luck!

About the Author

Rodent Guide

Man v Rodent! I've been tackling Rodent infestation issues for over 20 years. Now I want to use this website to pass over the tips that I have learned over that time to help you take these Rodents out DIY style!

View All Articles