If you choose to use mouse poison instead of a trap, you need to be responsible for the damage it could cause to other living things, and the local environment. In this post, we are going to take a look at the 5 stage process of how to use mouse poison responsibly.
Before we start, there is one common theme that I like to impress upon folks who choose mouse poison over the use of a trap. That is to use a trap too. I prefer to use a humane mouse trap to keep the mouse contained after the poison has been ingested.
Mouse poison can be dangerous to other animals, humans, and the local environment. It is up to you to be responsible.
How To Use Mouse Poison And Remain Responsible
1. Pick your poison
Mouse poison has many different active ingredients that work to kill mice. Not all of them are humane, and not all of them are good for the local environment, and other living things.
I urge you to be as humane as possible when picking the mouse poison you are going to use. Mice may not be your favorite animal, but you do have a responsibility to remove that without too much suffering. Stay clear of Anticoagulants.
2. Find where they are nesting
Place the mouse poison down as close to the nest as possible, that will ensure it as successful as possible.
The mice will be moving frequently around the area of their nest, which reduces the chances of the poison being missed.
The closer the poison is to the next, the more mice will venture out and take it. If you follow the instructions on this page, they will not return to the nest.
3. Pick a humane trap
For me, this is the biggest decision you can make in terms of being responsible when using poison to kill mice.
It is vital that you use a humane mouse trap to contain the mouse once it has ingested the poison. Humane mice traps can be baited with the poison. When the mouse is trapped, it will stay in there until it dies of the poison.
That way, you do not have to worry about other animals eating a poisoned mouse!
4. Add poison onto the trap
Once you have the mouse trap ready, it is time to apply the bait.
Setting up a mouse trap is easy, so is adding the bait. There are some differences to the process depending on which mouse trap you opted for, but as long as you follow the instructions given to you with the humane trap, then you can’t go wrong.
5. Dispose of the dead mouse correctly
When the mouse has fallen into your trap and has taken the bait, it is only a matter of time until the mouse dies. When it has died, your next job is to dispose of the dead mouse correctly.
Before you proceed, you should check with your local environmental teams to see if there is a different process that you should be following.
- Double bag the dead mouse
- Add it to your trash to be collected
That is pretty much it for disposal! As I said, it is best to check with the local authorities.
Using Mouse Poison – What Not To Do
I see it all too often, but the one thing that you cannot do (and remain responsible) is to simply throw poison into a void and leave it there to attract mice.
There are many different reasons why I do not like this approach. Using mouse poison can be dangerous. When using poison, it is vital that you consider any children who might come in contact with the poison or any other wildlife that could be killed if they ingested it.
You must do all you can to ensure the mouse is contained once it has taken the poison. That way, you are mitigating the risk of the poison affecting anything else.
Frequently Asked Questions
You should put the mouse poison down close to the mouse nest, or where you know there has been mouse activity. You need to identify areas that mice use to travel around. Areas like attics, walls, beams.
That depends on the poison used. Most poisons work within 3 days. The idea is that it gives the mouse time to take the poison back to the nest so the rest of the family can eat it too. I prefer to contain mice when they have ingested poison because it is the only responsible way to kill a mouse with poison.
Some poisons are very safe for humans but you should always check the label, or check with the manufacturer before exposing it to humans. Always use humane traps and contain the mouse. This way, the poison will also be contained, and out of reach of children.
Some poisons are safe for use around other pests. My preference is to use a pet-safe mouse trap to contain the mouse once the poison has been ingested. That way, it does not expose the local environment or wildlife to the poison, or to a poisoned mouse.
In this post, we have discussed a 5 stage process for how to use mouse poison responsibly.
Some folks simply throw bags of poison in areas where they have seen mice. Whilst that will no doubt kill the mice, it is a very irresponsible way of dealing with a problem.
Using poison incorrectly has terrible implications for the local environment, and the local wildlife.
When you think about the people or animals who may interact with the poison bags, I dread to think what could happen.
If you choose to use poison, you should become familiar with the symptoms of ingesting mouse poison. Also, you should learn what do do if someone has ingested rodenticide. If in doubt, ensure that you contact the emergency services ASAP.
Use it wisely, and always be responsible!